- #Internet #kerput. 1st #Cable light blinked, now not even that. DM me w/ #ideas And never fear, by hook or by crook I will be ready for … #
- #Internet or no, I'll be on @KinkOnTap tonight! Great show tonight, @hiohmegan, @debaucheddiva, @pledgemistress join us! Wouldn't miss it! #
- Thank you #Internet #gods! You have been kind this day. Doing @KinkOnTap from home-sweet-home tonight, after all: http://live.kinkontap.com #
- Getting lots of interest in #organizational #help! If you wanna work with me, check out https://followsthesun.com/consulting & speak up soon! #
- @tamed_lionheart Well thank you! #Google #Apps, #Skype and other free programs have been very helpful to us! Enjoy! cc @maymaym #kfadc2 in reply to tamed_lionheart #
- @maymaym People recognize that when you #speak people #listen The more this happens, the more everyone will want you to be their #voice in reply to maymaym #
- @maymaym "Some chick said, thank you for saying all the things I never do. I said y'know the #thanks I get is to take all the shit for you." in reply to maymaym #
- @maymaym "It's nice that you listen. It'd be nice if you joined in. As long as you play that game … you're never gonna win." #Ani gets it. in reply to maymaym #
- I am not kidding: group of kids at #Library just broke into 'We Are The World, We Are The Children' while coloring. #surreallife #
- Fantasy book I'm reading just used '#vanilla' to mean 'non-magical.' Just goes to show that #words are what we make 'em. #
- @Lia_Sphere What sort of re-evaluation? I had strong, and strongly mixed, reactions to #Secretary Which, I must admit, included great sex. in reply to Lia_Sphere #
- @johntunger Oh, I'm a complete #foodie and yet I so know that feeling. I usually fall back on packaged #ramen noodles (more's the pity…) in reply to johntunger #
- @johntunger You sound like you must be a great #eater Everybody values cooking, but few understand the #skill involved in #eating #well. in reply to johntunger #
- @Fangirlswoons It's not a book, and you don't have to buy it, but http://malesubmissionart.com is the best place I know of for #male #nudes. in reply to Fangirlswoons #
- Best part of #online #freelance work? Taking off my #bra in the middle of a #meeting That feels so much better! #
- @johntunger Fabulous! What are you celebrating? in reply to johntunger #
- @Rikakulon Happens. Sucks. Remember it's just your feelings being dumb; you're still as great as you are on your best days. (VERY GREAT!!!!) in reply to Rikakulon #
- @johntunger Fabulous! Steak is the perfect way to celebrate land in Texas. in reply to johntunger #
- Library once again closed due to #heat I am in my undies due to heat, doing paperwork and watching #Dresden #Files at home. Not a bad day. #
- @charlieglickman I can't read and do paperwork at the same time; I'm halfway through my first book now, though! in reply to charlieglickman #
- Dear Emma: People screw up (yes, you). Sometimes publicly & w/out catching it for a few days. Handle this by it sucking up & rocking harder. #
- @johntunger Does that mean that you will talk about it? We are 87% ears! in reply to johntunger #
- @johntunger Oh, kids at the library wanting my attention, finishing paperwork, wondering about dinner, other body parts that aren't ears. in reply to johntunger #
- Spending my evening in an orgy of dr who as I catch up for the pandorica. #
- Rockstar o th'day: @PledgeMistress for utterly stellar #Livetweeting of #stopporncon I admire you more & more with every passing day, girl. #
- July 1st is the First Day of the Rest of My Life. #
- Two weeks till responding-to-the-internet-in-a-timely-fashion. Two weeks till-making-my-own-schedule. Two weeks till #Life 2.0. #Ready now! #
- I somehow wandered into automated tech support. That computer lady was … scary. #
- @pledgemistress Glad to be one of the people with whom you surround yourself. 😉 in reply to pledgemistress #
- RT @viviane212: RT @charlieglickman: New post on my blog:: The Both/And of the Porn Wars http://bit.ly/d0yLqM #proporn #antiporn #KinkOnTap #
- Just caught up with my #BestFriend Amazing-I turn right back into a teenage girl when we talk on the phone, giggling & not wanting to stop. #
- I have the most terrible #craving for #artichokes What I need is a lovely boy to deliver some, cook 'em, and then provide me with #dessert #
- @maymaym Actually, they're super-duper easy. A little prep to get rid of the spikes, then just steam 'em or boil 'em. Lemon keeps 'em green. in reply to maymaym #
- Have you ever noticed that when people tell you to read #books it's usually because you #talk like you've already read 'em? #notuseful #
- And speaking of books, who's read "#Childhood's #End quot;? It's that sort of totally alien development I feel characterizes #Net #entrepreneurs. #
- @maymaym Ahh… Fair enough. Well, you've got the job, Pretty. #Artichokes #Lemons #Butter and #Lovin ' Stat! in reply to maymaym #
- Not that I'd tell him to read it, but this #book I'm reading totally #sounds #like @maymaym. (Which means he doesn't need to read it, yeah?) #
- "#Walks the #Talk quot; is a really nice way of putting the concept @ReidAboutSex describes as being "#Holographic!" Thanks, biz-book! #
- DMJ: What time is January, Max? Max: I'm aiming for 5:30. (We are pleased to know, but shall miss summer. And fall.) #
- Busybusy run-run-run day, but now SO excited for @KinkOnTap with the brilliant @PassionAndSoul, and my lovely co-host @maymaym. #Joyous day! #
- @zacmakes Having seen the pictures, I now revoke all snake comments. Those things are terrifying! in reply to zacmakes #
- @pledgemistress Thank you. So is she. in reply to pledgemistress #
- @maymaym I'm so, so pleased to know I had a part in this. You're gorgeous. Top to bottom, nose to bum. in reply to maymaym #
- Huh. After a bout of masturbation, I'm much less able to type – I think because the vibrator makes my hands all numb. Worth it! #
- @supergruntled I've been using the little pink battery operated one I got in my #Sex20 goodie bag. Remarkably effective! in reply to supergruntled #
- @TBK365 What are you talking about? That #tomato is #beautiful in reply to TBK365 #
- @maymaym And you used to wonder why I listened to happy music during sand times… in reply to maymaym #
- @maymaym The later one is very super-duper big in my life right now! in reply to maymaym #
- @maymaym I'm sitting here at home wishing I had somebody I could hang out with or go see. Don't ditch good people to be alone-go meet folks! in reply to maymaym #
- On #chatroulette for first time ever. Interesting. Very, very odd. #
- I am impressed by how quickly #Chatroulette made me feel unattractive and bad about myself. Was told I have a "weird, mannish face." #Blech #
- I had a less than stellar night, but marine iguanas and dear friends are starting to correct that. Thank goodness. #
- "Why am I so #lonely Why am I so tired? I need back up, I need company, I need to be inspired." #Ani knows how I #feel before I do, always. #
- @vlad43210 Terrifying, yes … but also kinda hot. in reply to vlad43210 #
- @maymaym Best of luck! You guys are gonna rock them so hard! #ocu10 in reply to maymaym #
- @TBK365 Did you really? Whoever from? in reply to TBK365 #
- @writingdirty I'm going! You know me! and @maymaym, too! You know him! #kfadc2 in reply to writingdirty #
- Evening light spills golden through my windows. I feel out of the woods now. Moving forward, ready for joy. #LiveHappy #
- @Kalyana I'm sorry, lady! That sounds unpleasant! in reply to Kalyana #
- Repair, little disk permissions, repair, repair, that I might update my software in safety. #
- What is it w/ you pple closing #libraries 1st PVD, now BKLN. D'you think books're outdated? Or everyone has internet like you? Your #wrong #
- @pledgemistress Not yet – but they're trying, just like they tried here. Check out @tylerthepup's tweets to learn more. in reply to pledgemistress #
- Made it to #kfadc2 late (STUPID DC PARKING) and already spilled the beans on the intricacies of my sex life w/ @maymaym, & how G-Apps helps! #
- Listening to @DDog and @siniful explain the sexual politics behind #DrWho As suspected, there's a lot in there. #KFADC2 #
- Zomygosh! I am learning about the delineations of #Timelord #Society. Such a happy #Whovian #KFADC2 #
- @olorwen I would dive into that! It may seem to easy, but there's more to #RHPS than meets the eye! #KFADC2 #
- Excited to hear @mollyren talk on safety around oral herpes-so many people just ignore cold sores. Education about it is so lacking. #kfadc2 #
- Due to rampant misinterpretation within the BDSM scene, #herpes can become an #asset (How hot! She's not allowed to kiss!) #KFADC2 #
- @pledgemistress Thanks for mentioning me! @MauiKink, feel free to get in touch! I'd love to help if I can! in reply to pledgemistress #
- What happens when you try to be #safe but your partners don't #listen and don't let you? #STI challenges are multifold! @mollyren #kfadc2 #
- Also, @talkingfigleaf is a veritable #font of knowledge! I know more about #herpes viruses now than I had #expected to learn today! #kfadc2 #
- OH! @mollyren reminds us that #herpes the kissing disease, is often passed w/in families. Brilliant reason to tear down #STI stigma #KFADC2 #
- As I sit and tweet, the brilliant @maymaym fills our meter, sets a timer, keeps the day smooth. I'm a lucky girl. #
- #Ask before #kissing people on the lips. Not only is it polite, it can keep you safe! #kfadc2 #
- @writingdirty Well, we are at the LGBT center. It wouldn't be that odd…. in reply to writingdirty #
- Check out the gorgeous #ADPS representation at #KFADC two! Joined by @lia_sphere and @xMech. ROCK ON!! #
- WHAT DID I MISS?! @nikolasco is clearly talking about technology I need, but I missed something! Fill me in, guys #KFADC2 #
- Oooh, #teledildonics for the win! One of the best words for some of the best tech! #KFADC2 @nikolasco #
- (PS, People who merely read his blog don't know it, but in person, @TalkingFigleaf is totally adorable. #TrueThing ) #
- Man, given how necessary music is for my #masturbation to function, I really need to get one of those #ipod dildo things. @nikolasco #kfadc2 #
- "You don't want a gay dildo if you're straight" – @TalkingFigleaf (Those things will turn you …) OH at #KFADC2 #
- Seismic. Dildo. I'm sold, @nikolasco – you don't even need to explain. But you can, if you like. KFADC@ #
- Man, I thought @maymaym and I had some good #sextech but @Nikolasco has us beat, HANDS DOWN. So. Much. #Want #KFADC2 #
- I need a #vibrator that senses how close you are to orgasm, and #slows down. #Amazing #KFADC (Better watch out, @maymaym). @Nikolasco #
- People filter in for a conversation on #proporn #antiporn here at #KFADC2 I wonder if there'll be such #open #discussion at #stopporncon #
- Seems much of the #proporn #antiporn debate is a lot of fuss about #semantics – if it doesn't hurt #women is it porn? #kfadc2 #stopporncon #
- Seems if #stopporncon approves of it, it must be #erotica not #porn Let us brand ourselves, #reclaim what once #harmed us. #KFADC2 #
- Conversation abt #feminism what once was #radical now seems #repressive Perhaps #stopporncon is just #misstep on way to good world? #KFADC2 #
- Seems #Webster #039;s and #antiporn feminists definitions of porn vary: http://bit.ly/bCq0xD. Maybe that's the root of this. #stopporncon #kfadc2 #
- RT @DDog @siniful sez: It's hard to have a #conversation unless everyone knows what the #definitions being used are. #kfadc2 #stopporncon #
- RT @DDog @talkingfigleaf: What we call #porn they call evidence for prosecution, what they call #erotica we call porn. #kfadc2 #stopporcon #
- Stepping away from the #stopporncon confusion and pain, @olorwen causes us to joyously discuss our #individual discoveries of #kink #KFADC2 #
- So many people here started w/ #fanfic before realizing they could #live some of their fantasies. Did #Snape bring me to big #noses #kfadc2 #
- .@debaucheddiva PLEASE tell us how the kink.com conversation goes. There is so much legit discussion that they'll miss. #stoporncon #kfadc2 #
- .@debaucheddiva @hiohmegan D'you see any understanding or search for common ground at #stopporncon At #KFADC2 we disagree but try to grock. #
- @siniful IS IT?! OH MY GOSH WHERE! (so few people saw the sequel…) in reply to siniful #
- Now @TalkingFigleaf, having gathered his bloggerific thoughts, speaks brilliant points on #porn #erotica definitions. #stopporncon #kfadc2 #
- Careful, @furrygirl, #sarcasm and #text and #conservatives don't mix very well. #Stopporncon #kfadc2 #
- Ok, #antiporn folks, we admit it! If #porn is by #definition #harmful, we hate it too!! But we don't think that's true. #kfadc2 #stopporncon #
- @debaucheddiva Completely honestly – how are you managing? How is @hiohmegan? This has got to be very scary. Are you speaking up much? in reply to debaucheddiva #
- @pledgemistress @furrygirl Yeah, that was my thinking, too. #Stopporncon #KFADC2 in reply to pledgemistress #
- .@TalkingFigleaf reminds: things don't disappear when we make 'em illegal, they go underground & become REALLY harmful. #stopporncon #kfadc2 #
- @HiOhMegan Take good care of yourself, lady. If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything. Don't let the bastards get ya down. in reply to HiOhMegan #
- .@Lia_Sphere Speaks #masochism and #masculinity Giving up power does not equate with femininity. (Really – I promise.) #KFADC2 #
- I'm loving @Lia_Sphere's depiction of #strong #submissive #masculinity – but why relegate it solely to #gay #relations? #KFADC2 #
- I am reminded of #wes and #ADPS as @Lia_Sphere reads her paper. There is comfort in #academic #storyhour. #KFADC #
- "phalocentrism is above all the denial of the value of powerlessness in both men and women" qtd. by @Lia_Sphere. Amazing. #KFADC2 #
- Thanks to the #sexpositive folks at #stopporncon It's scary to try to #engage people who disagree. We're lucky to have good #ambassadors #
- I sincerely hope #stopporncon succeeds in its goal of ending oppression, coercion, cruelty. We at #KFADC2 share these ideals-engage with us! #
- I would would love to hear #more from folks at #stopporncon – trying to #understand your #viewpoints from a distance, but need more! #KFADC2 #
- Continuing our attempt to do better #understand #proporn #antiporn dispute. #stopporncon #KFADC http://ustream.tv/channel/kinkforall #
- We need to be strong, mature advocates of our viewpoint. Disagreement doesn't mean we can take others lightly. Be kind. #KFADC2 #stopporncon #
- People I admire for their strength, today: @hiohmegan, @maymaym, @debaucheddiva, @pledgemistress. #stopporncon #kfadc2 #
- Beginning to fade. Keeping positive is tough, staying kind in the face of oppression tougher – and toughest when my "own side" kicks back. #
- My internep just died: meant to say, @raxvulpine, @furrygirl, I'm not trying to preach, just remind myself of my own ideals. Follow yours. #
- Wish I could've tweeted @DDog's supercool discussion on being #thoughtful on #trans issues, but no net & phone is tough. #kfadc2 #
- Little to #no #Internet at #kfadc2 venue. We're still rockin' and recording despite radio silence! Check it out after-the-fact. #
- A pile of people slumps cuddled in the back of the roon at #kfadc2 Frenetic pace of #kinkforall can do that to a body. They're sweet t'see. #
- @Gnosisseeker Yeah, @KinkOnTap is TOTALLY a go tomorrow! Live from Providence! in reply to Gnosisseeker #
- #KFADC2 ends, for me, with a truly monumental headache. I need sushi, and cuddles. Stat. (But it was a good day, and thanks to all involved) #
Once upon a time I was a stubborn, lonely, smart, confused and confusing girl of 12. I was in Middle School, and I didn’t like it. The people who had been my friends had graduated and gone to high school, I alternately pitied and envied the reigning cliques of popular boys and girls, I wrote prose/poems at the rate of one or two a day, and I thought myself a diamond in the rough.
It was in this year that I first met another girl, smart, lonely, confused – she did a considerably better job of meshing with the reigning cliques than I did, but I think that she sat mostly on the outside as well.
We weren’t best friends, but we were friends. We weren’t always together, but we sometimes were.
We weren’t always together in high school. We started at the same school, joined the theater club at the same time, but I went to New York for a while, and then to a smaller, weirder, more progressive school. She followed, but kept ties to the theater club. We ran in some of the same circles, but not all.
But we grew together. We stuck together. And when clashes between other friends threatened to pull us apart, we found ourselves unwilling. We’d known each other longer, by then. We already marveled at how long.
We went to college far from eachother, and then moved to separate places. She called me up in tears. I called her up in tears. Our friendship was never based in being with each other all the time, in seeing each other every day or telling each other everything. I don’t know the names of all her friends. I don’t know everything she does.
She changed. Straightened her hair then stopped straightening it. Her body changed as she grew up, more than mine did. She got a tattoo, she became a vegetarian, she fell in love with a girl. I was surprised, impressed, overjoyed.
I am surprised, impressed, overjoyed.
I changed – she could tell you how better than I could, probably. Subtle things inside of me. I still have the same hairstyle, still wear the same clothes, same body type – but I began to choose words and labels more carefully (and then stopped labeling myself at all), I cordoned off the things that hurt me and open myself fully to the things that brought me joy. My stubbornness came to the forefront, and I refused any path offered and walked into the wilderness alone.
She watched me, supported me, reminded me to love myself.
She supports me, and reminds me to love myself.
What I am trying to say is that I write about food and I write about May and I write about Z and I write about sex, and gender, and life, and sadness and joy.
These things make up my day-to-day existence. This girl makes up the fabric of my life. She is a longer story than that. She is in the background all the time. I think about her every day. I think about all the things that she is. I think maybe my life is destined to end with two old ladies in a house somewhere, with cats and plants and potato salad, with our hair growing white and our smiles unshakable, having fought all our battles, all our lives, away form each other, having loved and supported each other from a distance for so long, and having finally come together, safe from the world and it’s wreckage, joyous and peaceful and good.
That is decades in the future, but I want to say, that I have been her friend for 10 years now, and she has been mine. And our friendship is not like other friendships in our lives. It is unshakable. It is irreplaceable. It is not as simple as that. Maybe she’s the love of my life. Certainly I know the idea of her being angry with me or disappointed in me is scarier than the thought of similarly letting down any romantic partner I’ve ever had. You know, they come and go. She came so long ago, she’s always been there. I don’t know what would happen if she ever, ever went.
I don’t have the words for this. I don’t know how to say, that when we announced ourselves as married on a social networking site, that may not have been strictly true, but really wasn’t a joke. We had no ceremony, we just fell into being bonded to each other more closely than to anybody else, with all our distance and all our time apart. Nobody can come between us. Nobody should try. Nobody should say a word against her in my presence. Where she is concerned, I have no sense of humor. Only fiercely loyal, protective love.
She sent me a love letter. I know she’s worked on it, on and off, for months. She started in a sad time, and I think she might be on the brink of a happy time, and I’m so glad. She wrote me a love letter, pasted pictures out of magazines and snippets and quotes that made her think of me and she sent it here, full of grace. And she demurs now and says she was in a weird place when she wrote it, like it’s no big thing or maybe over the top. As if it could be.
I think she may be the first person I ever trusted not to leave me.
I keep glancing over, now, at her love letter to me, and my eyes keep prickling like maybe I’m going to cry.
She wrote me a love letter, and I wrote her this.
I hope you like it. I hope you know how much I love you. I hope you know I’ll never stop and I’ll never forget and no matter how far away I am, I’m not going anywhere. I hope you know.
- Just about ready for #KinkOnTap with @ReidAboutSex, @TBK365 & of course, @maymaym. Gonna be a #great show, y'all! http://bit.ly/aHO2d5! #
- @HiOhMegan Is this truly the most beneficial, efficient and joyous use of your time, lady? in reply to HiOhMegan #
- Enjoyed @KinkOnTap – thanks to @ReidAboutSex & @TBK365 for joining us! We had #conversation & healthy #debate and we're glad for them both! #
- Best sum-up EVAR: RT @bewareleopard: the alpha delta girls: colluding to destroy monogamy and corrupt former evangelicals since 1856 #
- I sometimes find myself frustrated with just how often I use the word "may." It can rapidly become confusing. cc @maymaym #
- Rapidly concluding that there is no good way to express one's negative feelings. Better to deal with it all on my own, then act accordingly. #
- Need support. Have meeting. Regardless of what others say, meeting not appropriate place to get support. Plan: stop needing support. STAT. #
- No, srsly, guys. The goal is to just not need support. I wanna be like those little glass balls w/ water & shrimp & algae-self sufficient. #
- @SaraEileen @Supergruntled @ Majamajamaja Miscommunication. Meeting & support having nothing to do w/ one another. Meeting'll probably help! #
- How come nobody believes I can be an ecosystem? I can be an ecosystem! I don't need any other organisms 'cept the ones I got! So there!! #
- Also – y'all are amazing. SO many responses to my tweetses! Normally I expect to be tweetin' to the void. #
- Things I am #good at: Supporting myself. I promise, folks. S'just, part of that is tweeting out emotion. Things I am bad at: Eating #dinner #
- @zacmakes You tried to kill the snake? Why did you try to kill the snake?! in reply to zacmakes #
- Accomplished today: made children laugh, read 'The Time Machine' for first time. I might not be feelin' superb, but that's still an ok day. #
- @Rikakulon @SaraEileen Similar thing happened to me a in the park a few years ago. Tough & scary, but I'm not sure how I feel about shaming. in reply to SaraEileen #
- @SaraEileen Not sure. Wasn't an option when it happened to me, so I took a deep breath & moved on. Probably'd do th'same now, but that's me. in reply to SaraEileen #
- @SaraEileen I don't act because that would make him important. He's a sad lonely man, and he can stay that way, if this's how he handles it. in reply to SaraEileen #
- @SaraEileen I want to reiterate: this is #not #advice, it's opinion. This's how I made myself OK – @Rikakulon, please do whatever helps you. in reply to SaraEileen #
- From #KinkForAll to #KinkOnTap to @Sarahdopp & @HiOhMegan, I am feeling blessed and lucky in all my projects & my friends today. #LiveHappy #
- @maymaym @sarahdopp @hiohmegan Awwwww, you guuuuuuuyyyyyssss … #blushes #GoesBackToWork in reply to maymaym #
- Also, #soup makes me #sleepy #
- ALSO also, I am two sips into my glass of red wine and already feeling it. #cheapdate #tweetingtoomuch #
- Dude, my g-mail background is awesome when google thinks that there's a #thunderstorm in my #neighborhood #
- The simple, easy-to-grasp truth about the semicolon. With #bears and #raptors http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon #
- @zacmakes You found it! Somehow I always thought of it as being less … hidden. And snakeful. in reply to zacmakes #
- @pledgemistress Of course!! Happy to oblige! But you gotta get it to me first… in reply to pledgemistress #
- @maymaym You helped in a big way, there & elsewhere. I thank you: https://followsthesun.com/he-belonged-to-me-loss-optimism-and-kinkforall/ in reply to maymaym #
- Few things make me feel better about myself than reading my old #blog entries. I really like this #girl that is me. https://followsthesun.com #
- Here we go to Summervillle, so early in the morning… #
You should know: I love soup.
I do! My terrible addiction to packaged ramen noodles is, at base, just a particularly quick-fix for my underlying adoration of soup. I like thick soups like lentil and thin soups like the stunning rich beef broth with tiny pieces of vegetables and miniature bow-tie noodles floating in it that I once ate in Hungary. I like hot soups like chicken noodle and cold soups like vichyssoise and tomato consomme (oh, my lord, tomato consomme…) I like meaty soups and vegetarian soups and vegan soups. I love soup.
Maybe it’s because I’m lazy , and like my meals to be spoon-scoopable. But I don’t think so. There is something good about soup. Hot soup in winter is soul-warming and comforting and easy, requiring little thought or fuss. Cool soup in summer is more refreshing than any salad could ever hope to be.
However, like the sainted Laurie Colwin, from who’s books “Home Cooking” and “More Home Cooking” I learned so much of my mode and thinking about cooking, I do not like sweet ‘desert soups’. Not that they’re bad tasting, necessarily, or have an unpleasing texture – I just think that they are properly sauces, and should have some lovely poached fruit sitting in the middle of them, or be drizzled over ice-cream. If sauce is good, I like a lot of sauce. I have no problem with half a grilled peach sitting in an entire bowl of blueberry sauce. Quantity of liquid does not a soup make. Sweet soups are not of the true soupy-spirit.
What may be more surprising than my love hot-soup-in-winter or cold-soup-in-summer, is the fact that I also love hot-soup-in-summer. My Father told me long ago, and I believed him (probably because I was eating ramen at the time and was not about to stop) that eating hot foods in the summer actually helps cool you down. And also? Soup is delicious. I want it all year round.
It’s quarter-of-10 in the evening and has only just cooled down to 70 degrees, with lightning in the distance and a storm rolling in, and I am eating soup. It took about as long as ramen noodles, perhaps a little longer, and it is infinitely more delicious (or perhaps I am simply growing up?). This soup too I owe to the amazing Ms. Colwin, and because it is so good, I shall share it with you.
Laurie Colwin’s Last-Minute Soup
- Small saucepan
- Small knife
- Small cutting board
- Small bowl (for mixing egg)*
- Bowl to eat it from
- 1-2 cups chicken broth or stock (home-made if you have it)**
- A few stalks of asparagus
- Some little pasta (pastina stars or orzo … that size)***
- 1 Egg
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon (or Lime)
- Black Pepper
- Bring stock to simmer in small saucepan. While it heats, cut your asparagus into little rounds, perhaps quarter of an inch long. Leave about an inch and a quarter at the tips. Break the egg into the little bowl and beat it with the fork. Cut the lemon in half.
- When the soup is simmering, add the asparagus and pasta.
- When the pasta is soft, stir in the beaten egg (quickly, so it forms little strands instead of big lumps), squeeze in the lemon juice (careful of the seeds!) and grind in some pepper. If it’s too sour, you can add a little salt at this point, but probably it will be delicious.
That’s it. Quick and easy, filling and delicious, with vegetable and protein all in one easy, spoonable meal.
Isn’t soup grand?
* What can I say? It’s a small soup. Soup for one. Double this if you want soup for two.
** This is not a vegetarian soup, but if you switch it out for veggie broth or miso (could be interesting) it could be. With the omission of the egg, it becomes vegan – but also less nutritious.
*** Go a bit easy on these unless you like a sort of slurry – they expand a lot!